Many youth sports only need a single referee or umpire to run the games, but our swim meets can have 200 swimmers competing, and they require 20-25 parents from each team to be timers, officials, scorers, etc. Our meets simply
couldn’t happen without dozens of parent volunteers, and there are also non-meet activities (like pep rallies) where we need volunteers. To make sure the volunteer load is spread fairly across the families on the team, we have a volunteer requirement – or a fee if that requirement is not fulfilled. Most volunteer roles can be filled with no prior swim team experience.
The Swim Team Volunteer Fee is $150 per family. The fee must be paid separately from the team registration fees and made by check (payable to OKMSRC). The checks will be held during the season, and if a family fulfills its volunteer requirement, its check will be destroyed. Here are the specifics of the Volunteer Policy:
- The standard requirement, which will apply to the majority of families, will be to volunteer for at least six credits (typically six meets or events). However, we are trying out a modified Volunteer Policy for 2017:
- For families that participate in less than six meets, the requirement will match the number of meets they swim. For example, if a family only participates in the four scheduled B meets, then its requirement will be four credits. (We are trying to avoid requiring a family to volunteer at a meet where it does not have a swimmer participating.)
- Volunteer opportunities for each two-week block of the season will be posted on SignUp Genius every two weeks during the season. Families may earn multiple credits at a single event by having multiple family members volunteer.
- Credits for meets can be earned at A meets, B meets, other NVSL meets, and NVSL swim officials’ clinics. NOTE: Time Trials will not count as a credit because we run this meet without the help of another team, and all families are expected to volunteer.
- Volunteer credits can also be earned by filling non-meet roles throughout the season, such as planning and running social events. Non-meet credits will be listed on SignUp Genius as the opportunities arise.
- Families seeking to earn credits at a meet where every volunteer position is already filled can sign up for an “overflow” position on SignUp Genius and will be assigned a position at the meet.
- There are no partial fee refunds. Families that do not fulfill their full credit requirement will not receive any part of the fee back, and the check will be deposited.
- Volunteer Fees are due by June 20. A child will not be able to continue to participate in team activities if the fee has not been paid by June 20. Once the Volunteer Fee has been paid, the child may resume participation with the team.
- Volunteers are responsible for finding their own replacements if they’re unable to perform a position for which they signed up (unless there is an “overflow” signup that can fill the role). Sub volunteers needs to notify the Volunteer Coordinator about a substitution so that proper credit can be assigned.
- Although we will try avoid this, it could become necessary during the season to seek volunteers from families who have already met their minimum-credit requirement.